Thursday 19 May 2016

CALIFORNIA DAZE



Do you know how incredibly satisfying it is to be able to achieve one of your life long dreams? no? well let me tell you now, pal, it's quite lovely. 
After ten months of planning, saving, then planning some more (and even more saving) I finally embarked on my dreamy adventure to California. 

Let me rewind, it's a mundane evening in the beginning of June 2015. I'm just winding down from a hellish shift, flicking through social media apps. Suddenly, Coachella announce their pre-sale tickets for their festival in April 2016 are on sale, out of pure curiosity, I click the link, after years of trying for Glastonbury tickets, I wanted to know how hard it was to get a golden ticket for the ever celeb-ridden, Coachella. Within ten minutes I find myself entering my bank details as I've just secured tickets for weekend two. Just like that. Once again, my impulsive nature got the better of me. 
  With tickets purchased, we were forced to pay up for everything else, flights, hotels, more flights. People ask me all the time how much this trip has cost, and I honestly couldn't tell you. We never kept track of money, just simply booking things when we could. 
  We planned it like this, 

LONDON HEATHROW > LAX > LAS VEGAS (2 NIGHT)
LAS VEGAS > SAN FRANCISCO (4 NIGHTS)
SAN FRANCISCO > LOS ANGELES (2 NIGHTS)
LOS ANGELES > PALM SPRINGS/COACHELLA (4 NIGHTS)
PALM SPRINGS > LOS ANGELES (2 NIGHTS)
HOME

If you had told me 18 months ago that I would be going on this trip, I would not have believed you. I had just quit uni, working a twelve-a-week contract and barely being able to keep my head above water. I feel incredibly proud of myself, despite nothing really monumental happening in my life, apart from actually landing a full time job. But, I have been able to fund myself to go on this amazing adventure, something thirteen year old me day-dreamed about during year 8 Geography. I've not only ticked it off my ever-lasting bucket list, I have done it all myself. There was so many nights out I had to miss out on with friends, because sometimes sacrifices have to be made, but it was all so worth (obviously) because travel is always worth it. 

  I miss the place like crazy. I miss the bright lights of Vegas. I miss the lovely little houses in San Francisco. I miss madness of Hollywood. I miss all my lyft drivers in LA. I miss the Palm Trees. I miss the sunshine in Palm Springs. I miss the shuttle bus to Coachella everyday. I even miss having to repeat my name multiple times to the barista in Starbucks, only for her to get it wrong anyway. 

I cried sitting in LAX departures, waiting for our flight home. Genuinely, and I'm not a crier. But I'm so pleased to say I did it, and I've seen Alcatraz, and I've sauntered down the walk of fame. Birmingham ain't quite the same since I returned. 


Chanel x




1 comment:

  1. This post literally got me so emotional. Some of my very best memories are also from California.. xo

    www.aimeroseblog.com

    ReplyDelete